Wednesday, October 3, 2012

SHORT STORY TIME!!!

The artist's curse



































It all started not to long after I moved to Tokyo, Japan in the summer to work for a big company as a concept artist, something I've been thriving for all my life. It wasn't hard…I knew I had it in me, to create amazing artwork and designs for the gaming industry. I learned Japanese, always wanting to. It had its bonuses but man was it tough, I mostly learned from books and took some
classes and here I am now. This place is amazing. So massive and I feel like I'm the only white person on the planet right now. I have my own apartment to, yea I can't believe it either…took my grandmother a lot to take in not only having me leave home but to leave the cotenant as well… she probably calls me at least what seems like five times a day, it gets annoying even though I know she loves me. She's going to have to let me grow up sometime though.

Do you remember those shows/movies where a person comes across some ancient artifact, or something magical and odd from some shop in china town?
Well…this is no China town…. But downtown Tokyo is full of some pretty fucked up things. Sometimes I like to go shopping and downtown is always where you find the best stuff in my opinion, it's always my preferred place to shop. Anyways… knowing me I would stumble upon a weird shop like this…and go in it.
It was one of those knickknack shops that sell odd things found from odd places, the man that worked there was a very old Asian man…one of those with the very long beards with the fu manchu. I could feel his eyes watching my every move as I looked around, probably didn't trust a young adult like myself but I was just browsing and I would never steal a thing. And then I saw it… I stumbled across a beautiful artist's inking pen. Yea, an ink pen…something I have plenty of…but this…it was beautiful. Not to mention the dragon carving was just a dead giveaway…something I won't be able to resist for my collection. I brought it up to the counter asking the price, the man looked at me hard and said, "Name your price…and its yours." I was shocked, who just says that…and for something that must be so expensive. "Really? Oh…you don't have to…it looks like it's worth a lot." He shook his head claiming no, he laughed, telling to just take it instead, not worrying about the price. "Go ahead…just take it. It belongs to you." I didn't know what to say, I thanked him who knows how many times he was so nice. I just hoped there wasn't something wrong with it…but I'm sure I'll find out in the next while.

Nice night to myself, watching movies and cuddling up on the couch with my sketchbook suddenly in the biggest drawing mood to date cause of this new pen! I love when I get to draw stuff that doesn't relate to work at all and I can just let myself go free with my drawings. I was just doodling random sketches, almost a mini collage in my sketchbook it was looking good, and of course dragons…I love drawing dragons, they had to be included. Now it was time to Ink.

About half way through the movie I didn't realize what was happening as I began to ink this thing… I heard noises…that sounded odd…and close. I think wings flapping and some screeching. "What the fuck….?" I looked over to see a flapping small dragon in my living room hovering around! I looked down on my page, seeing that it was exactly what I inked out within my drawings!! I didn't know what to do, but my first instinct told me…not to trust my drawings…just don't do what they do in the movies…and wouldn't you know, my instincts were right. The black and white flapping dragon decided to hurl a colorless fireball at me as I dodged it! Rolling out of the way! I looked behind me to see the carpet burning! ITS REAL!! I had to think quickly! How do I get rid of this thing? Fuck it! First instinct!! BURN THE PAGE!!! I reached for my sketchbook, ripped out the beautiful drawing I was working on and chucked it into the burning carpet. Soon enough, the dragons started to fade out of existence…as did the flames.

I sat there in the middle of the floor, shocked out of my mind as I stared at the burned hole in the carpet and blackened paper…this pen is fucking magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment